On being spoon fed | Fetch My Flying Monkeys

Iran Prez Paper

Normally I keep my political opinions to myself. Well, okay I lie, what I meant to say is, I only discuss them with close friends. I am by no means an expert on politics, but I do consider myself a sensible, semi intelligent person, and I keep up with current events and most importantly, I do try to take what is fed to the public with a HUGE grain of salt, okay, a boulder that could fill the Grand Canyon.

As everyone must know by now, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been visiting the United States and has been met with a lot of protest from the American public. I read an article this afternoon about his visit to Columbia University today and the accusations made by the president of Columbia University. The guy basically called President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a petty and cruel dictator and also accused the Iranian president of denying the Holocaust ever happened, and that the Iranian president also previously stated that Israel should be wiped off the map, and that Iran was supplying weapons to Iraq insurgents, and of course developing nukes to start a war with the United States, and basically he was Satan on earth.

The Iranian president responded by saying “I should not begin by being affected by this unfriendly treatment.” Then went on to say that his country was not intending war on anyone, and as far as the holocaust he said “Granted this happened, what does it have to do with the Palestinian people?” Meaning, why should the Holocaust be a reason for the strife between Israel and Palestine? And I must say, I agree with him. The holocaust was NAZI GERMANY trying to annilate the Jews. Hmm… just like the Taliban was responsible for the 9-11 attack, NOT Iraq. And, it seems to me that we are being spoon fed the same stuff about the Iranian president as we were about Saddam Hussein (*cough*weapons of mass destruction*cough*).

First, I am disappointed that at a place of higher learning that that kind of “questioning” occured. I thought colleges were a place of open mindedness, and discussion. The Iranian president is here to discuss his and his country’s views on all subject matters concerning relations with the United States. Why can’t we see that people in this world have different views then ours? That people have different governments, with different laws. Are we the dictators police of the world? And better yet, why can’t we take an opportunity to hear it from “the horse’s mouth” instead of what is fed to us by Bush and his league of warmongers our elected officials and media?

I am not a fan by any means of Iran, or any middle eastern country for that matter. Oh, a funny story, I remember the first Iranian I ever met. It was at Morehead State University in Kentucky in the late 70′s or early 80′s. A small college in rural Kentucky. I was smoking some weed discussing college life with a group of friends and there was a guy with dark skin and an accent. I asked him where he was from. He said “Iran”. I said, ” I didn’t ask how you got here.” Everyone laughed, except him. True story. Okay, I digressed a tad to tell my funny. All I am trying to say is I get scared when we start making villians out of entire countries. I think it shows our ignorance and arrogance. The last thing we need is another Iraq. More 18 year olds dying everyday. Billions of dollars spent. The guy came here for discussion. Even if he’s here lying his ass off, the least we should do is listen, and mind our manners. Remember, hold your friends close and your enemies even closer.

Now that that’s off my chest, I must now get my evening chores done so that I can veg on my couch to watch tonight’s HEROES PREMIER!!

12 Responses to On being spoon fed

1. J says:

I frankly don’t lose a lot of sleep over Palestinian sensibilities while they blow up buses full of school kids to make political statements with Iran’s funding and training.
    Ahmadinejad also said they don’t have gay people there. Gay people in Iran have three choices: hanging, dismemberment or being thrown from a high place. Its in their version of the Koran. If you believe that being gay isn’t a lifestyle choice but is instead how someone is born, then you know what “we have no homosexuals” really means.
    Being treated with respect requires that you respect others. The theocrats in Iran don’t tend to do that.
    The Iranian people are the victims of a huge bait-and-switch. They all got behind the overthrow of the Shah and then got a huge facist nightmare instead of what they expected. The people of Iran don’t have our luxury of deciding to treat Ahmadinejad and his band of theocratic fascists politely or not. They jail and kill their opponents. I hope they toss the bastards out.
    It isn’t our government that is making them bad. They are bad and pointing it out is a good thing.

2. Laura says:

I never said they were “good” guys. I never said that whatever their laws are there is “good”. What I did say is, it should NOT be up to us to police other countries. Bad shit happens everywhere. Look at Africa and their warlords, the genocide. Do we run over there and “save” the people? No. And why? Because they don’t have oil.

3. Laura says:

Oh, and playing the gay card to show me their pure evilness was pretty good. You know I have gay friends. It would have only been better if you said they make their redheaded children watch Bozo the Clown and force feed them maple syrup because the koran tells them to. Cause then I’d have to re-up to kick some Iranian ass : ) But really what about the way their women in general are treated, do you think for one second I think that’s correct? Are we to declare the evilness of every country that represses or mistreat groups of people? If so, there would be one hell of a major world war going on.

4. J says:

We tried in Somalia. Darfur was left to burn. If we didn’t need oil I have no doubt we would ignore them if they would stay home and leave us alone.
    It is a hard question though. How much of an interventionist policy should we have? Do we ignore things until the only choices are between bad and worse or do we try to mold things so they are less bad from our perspective? In a world where the bad guys can kill thousands in an afternoon and that capability will only grow with time, I am all for keeping them on their heels a bit.

5. Laura says:

Exactly, if they didn’t have the natural resources that we consume, we’d let them take care of their own, with an occasional write up about it in the newspaper right beside the skiing squirrel article. The best thing for us is to become less dependent on their oil and they can turn into a dustbowl. How about we take some of those billions that are being spend on the war and channel that into research and development? Then after we produce our own fuel and then read about them killing each other off, we can have a rock concert and send them money : ) Maybe Duane can host it.

6. richard says:

The President of Columbia, while I consider him a hypocrite, was right in saying what he said. The man was invited to speak and was told that what he said wouldn’t go unchallenged and it wasn’t, much to my surprise.
    While his views on the holechost(sp) are not a good sign, thats not unusual for his area of the world. But his stance and actions in the area of human rights, gays, Arabs, and Sunni’s are what bothers me a great deal more. Add to that the fact that he has the blood of many American soldiers and civilians on his hands because he and his goverment supply and train the insurgents in Iraq, then you get someone that I don’t feel should be given a foreum to speak his brand of evil.
    Our goverment, while basically incompentent, does support the moderates in Iran, and we don’t look at ALL Iranians as evil, just the goverment, a theocracy of the worst kind.
    The Iranians have the highest rate of literacy in the Middle East, the students and the ordinary people want a change in their goverment, they want what they thought they were going to get when the Shah was deposed, by giving this little Hitler a place to make news and cause demonstrations we have bolstered his credability at home with the hard liners and forced the moderates to be quiet or be shown to not be patriotic. This whole episode is a backwards step for those in Iran who want freedom.

7. Laura says:

Okay, here’s my thing. I know the guy’s record ( the Iranian prez). Evidently he was granted permission to come to this country and discuss the whole building nuke thing and he said he would take questions. My thing is there are way more countries (Palestine, SAUDI ARABIA- which btw also mistreat gays and they ALL have , by our standards, horrible human rights)- that harbor and assist terrorism. I don’t see us talking about attacking them. Why? O.I.L.
    I just don’t see demonizing one man to gear up the lemmings for another war. Again, the best choice we could ever make is not to depend on any of them for fuel, and let the desert consume their countries and all their Rolls Royces stand abandoned beside them. This won’t happen though. Too many rich, powerful men HERE make their millions/ billions dealing with them.

8. Laura says:

And that’s very nice that there are others in Iran that want their freedom, and things to change in their country. They can have at it. I just don’t think we should be the one to do their fighting for them. Let’s ask Iraq, who the huge majority says their lives now are worse and they want our asses out of their country. Oh, wait, that will only mean there will be nothing but civil war there. Hmm..well la dee fucking da, now ain’t that a fine mess we have gotten into trying to spread democracy in a muslim country.

9. J says:

The bad news is that even if we quit buying oil tomorrow the Saudis would still continue to be amazingly wealthy because Saudi oil almost pumps itself it is so easy to get out. That means it will continue to be a huge source of world energy no matter what happens.
    The Persians of Iran are a different branch of Islam but also see themselves as holders of the one ‘truth.’
    I suspect almost all of the religious posturing is actually about wealth and power by those doing the posturing. It is really easy to use people if you tell them what they want to hear and religious fanatics will do your bidding if you just say the right things. None of these people strike me as especially motivationally gifted. They have to appeal to the pre-motivated is my thinking.
    As to the situation in Iraq, most of the problems we are facing are due to the influence of outside forces fomenting hatreds. They blow up people and ancient mosques for no other reason than to make the place a horror show. The Iranians have our blood on their hands but so do the Syrians and many Saudis, Jordanians and Egyptians. None of the ‘leaders’ there want a western style democracy in the area because it is so very attractive and they worry it will spread. We hope it will spread. I suspect the genie is already out of the bottle and some form of democracy will take hold there eventually. It might take a generation. That wouldn’t be unusual. The same thing happened in India after the Brits left.

10. richard says:

Bah humbug!!!! Women and their Paficism….why is that women always are for peace…..except in divorce court!!!! :)

11. J says:

Queer Eye for the Iranian Guy Woos Ahmadinejad
    by Scott Ott
    (2007-09-25) – Producers of the new BravoTV series “Queer Eye for the Iranian Guy” said they’re close to inking a deal with Islamic Republic President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to appear in the season opener.
    While it’s a well-known fact that there are no homosexuals in Iran, the network plans to import them to Tehran from the United States in order to give Mr. Ahmadinejad “a radical, extremist makeover.”
    During the course of the show, the Iranian leader will be “fundamentally transformed head-to-toe” by a group of homosexual men known as the Fab Five – an interior designer, a fashion stylist, a chef, a beauty guru and a ‘concierge of cool’.
    According to a news release from the show’s producers, “By the time the Fab Five are done with him, the A-man will have gone from geek to gorgeous, sporting new threads, new taste in pop music and a new sense of self-identity.”

12. Duane says:

Must we watch your and J’s foreplay played out here like Survivor.. Keep it between the sheets people!!!! The only thing I wanna know is how many times ya’ll had to look at that mans name to spell it or how many times you copy pasted it, cause I know you bitches arent that smart!!